Thursday, March 29, 2007

India Poised

This is a very nice initiative that the "Times of India" has taken up. Every day we look at the first page of any newspaper read about accidents, the crimes, the coups, the failures, political jugglery and many similar things. This initiative has brought out a lot of inspiration in me... now I look forward to the second page of "Times of India" almost daily.
The anthem that is shared in the India Poised site is a true inspiration. I love reiterating it in my mind, make me proud.
The sort of commitment the heroes who are giving to the society makes us really proud of them.
Will share my thoughts on these things and many more.
This may well be a publicity stunt in the long run but for now I am really happy that there is some place where people actually can appreciate and feel proud about the achievers in out country.
The link http://indiapoised.com/

2 comments:

Zareen said...

Hi Sachidananda; Really interesting blog, I enjoyed reading some of your posts on Mathematics, it helped me to understand and appreciate the beauty of some of the most basic things - prime numbers and 1/0 = infinity were my favourites.
I wanted to ask your opinion on the whole 'India Poised' issue. I agree with your post in general - it's great to have a space where we can appreciate achievements. However, what I am observing from the media recently is that there is not enough coverage of some of the issues that are by-products of 'India Poised' or 'India Shining'. Going from the experiences of other countries, it is safe to say that increasing industrialization and urbanization have many horrible side-effects for culture, environmental health, social structures, even individual psychologies (sorry I can't be more precise, it would take up too much space!) I don't see enough of a balanced debate about the pros and cons of our growth and development, just an uncritical acceptance of one particular trajectory.
Do you agree or disagree? And why? It would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Sachidananda Benegal said...

Hi Zareen,

I was browsing through my old articles and found this one.

My take is pretty clear on what the media need to do - they have to be more responsible. No second thoughts on that.

On the changing culture... I think I shall blog this one sometime in detail... :)

Sorry for over 2 yrs of delay...