Thursday, May 3, 2007

Read it makes you humble

I was not in the habit of reading books other than academic ones till I was in college and completed my graduation from NITK. I began my job once I passed out off college, I used to travel by the BMTC bus and as I boarded it in the first stop, so invariably I would have a seat for myself. I wanted to kill time and that's how I began reading books.
Now after almost 2 years of such a commutation to the office, I have just become deeply in love with books. I read a lot of books and in the past 24 months I have read over 20 books, on various topics.
The process of reading books has opened up a new phase in my life. I have began judging more accurately. I have begun creating my own opinions and tastes based on what I read. I have get a regular dose of active material to get me growing in the intellectual dimension as well.
Alex Stevenov in his speech to the fresh employees of Adobe, made a mention of how important it is to read regularly. What we read need not always be related to what we work, it can be more diverse. The more diverse the better, coz we get to know that much more. This study/learning that we do on our own is a great way to sharpen our skill. The diverse knowledge will stand by us in a huge way.. an will give a much bigger gamut for thought.

The biggest realization I have got its this, (may sound philosophical still its the truth) - the more I read, the more I know, the more I realise how little I know.

3 comments:

Prashanth said...

You hit the nail right on the head! Reading can play such an important role in personal development. It gives a perspective on many thing, depending on the kind of books you read.
I feel any kind of reading is good, as long as you gain some info, however little it might be..

Sachidananda Benegal said...

Completely agree with u prashanth... therez definitely a lot ot learn... only we got to open up!!! [:)]

Unknown said...

Really v good thought sachu. Books had been all time friend and teacher for me. A very nice quote put @ end... :)