Friday, May 29, 2009

Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M Prisig

Some books are path breaking in the world of philosophy and this one is definitely one them, a book which has inspired new thinking of thousands across the world.
Did I like the book? Definitely, then I need to ask Why did I like to book as much as I did? May be its part narration, part the content - the questions that it has dealt with, part just the timing of reading the book.
The narration:
One of my hobbies as is clear from some of the blogs that I have posted is trekking, very similar to the motorcycle ride across The United States; these are times when you get to think a lot about your own ideology of life. On a trek, in the lap of mother nature, its time to reflect and search for any meaning that comes out, any new insights that comes from the past; this a one of the reason why I loved the book.
The content:
The details of the story apart, what interested me most of the many things the attempt at understanding quality, the unity of eastern and western approaches in searching for the meaning of life and to be most precise - the attempt at understanding 'dharma' in the Indian philosphy.
There are as I mentioned already a lot of other issues he deals with, its worth reading at a slow pace and letting things sink... I personally spent over 4 weeks to read this book, and I still feel there is lot more to this.
The timing:
While I am working for most of the time on starting up, this book talks of a lot of the philosophy, which looks so very true when I read about it and relate to the context in the real life. May be at some other point in time you can read it to be understood quite differently from what I understand it now - but that is so true of awesome works like these.

A nice read if somebody is interested in philosophy and the associated debate - just to emphasize... there is no much relation with 'zen Buddhism practiced in the east.'

No comments: