Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sea of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh

It has be a long time since I have blogged anything here. I just completed reading a book and thought this would be a good starting point for this year's blog posting.

I had begun reading Sea of Poppies quite some time ago... donot remember when exactly. However given the pressing demands I put on my time, reading this had taken a back seat. I finally completed it yesterday night!



While I began reading the first two sections of the book which were named - Land and River, the pace was pretty slow. Starting with different themes, and moving pretty slow, but as Amitav Ghosh builds it up to the end in the "Sea" section, I found the book most engaging. It was also a reflection of the distances between the stories during the initial phase that probably didnt get me that pushy into completing the reading in one sitting, but as I began the Third section, I just couldnt wait to finish and see what next. 

Another aspect of the book was the use of Hidustani to highlight the conversations between the people. I was really interesting to know the usage of this language and how it relates to various dialects that were found during the time...

A wonderful read, and definitely this book has made me a fan of Amitav Ghosh and his righting. A very good read.... pick your copy and get to reading...

No comments: