Saturday, August 23, 2014

In tribute of URA...

Dr. U R Anathamurthy (URA) passed away yesterday and there has been a lot of discussion about him in the media, his contribution to the Kannada literature and being a new-age thinker and also about his version of development. It was as if a co-incidence that I was wondering on the influence he as made when one of our professors at IIM Bangalore and also a well known Kannada author - Prof M S Sriram shared URA's foundation day address in 2013. 

For the ease of the readers of my blog I have shared the video below.


I loved the piece where he spoke about the three kinds of hungers (not the biological hunger)  of our time:
  1. Equality
  2. Modernity
  3. Spiritual
I missed listening to his speech on the foundation day, but rest assured I missed listening to this speech live! This is an absolutely scholarly speech (much different from what I had heard as part of the SPICMACAY national convocation that we had organized at MAHE in 2005 - I feel I was so myopic and possibly stereotyped much early).

The speech is one which has absolutely influenced me - while I continue the search for purpose of what I have been doing. I can now get a better perspective of what I intend to do by positioning it in the context of these three hungers. I guess it has also sparked a sense of zeal into what I want to do. 

What I also see amiss in my training is the strength of such a strong scholarship - I aspire to gain one such - I just wish I would be able to get myself trained thus.

No comments: